Slice a Brie in half, add fig jam and you’ve got a real crowd pleaser. Photo courtesy Dalmatia Fig Jam.
Last Updated August 2010
Fig & Brie Recipe
An Easy Brie Appetizer For Cocktails...Or For The
For easy entertaining, try this swanky Brie & fig torte. The recipe is from the makers of Dalmatia Dried Fig Spread, which makes a delicious pairing with many different cheeses. You can serve the Brie recipe with cocktails, as an appetizer or as a cheese course.
Croatia, in south central Europe, sits on the Adriatic Sea between Slovenia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Much of the ancient Roman province of Dalmatia sits in present-day Croatia. The country is known for its natural beauty as well as for its production of healthy food.
Dalmatia Fig Spread is a thick preserve made from hand-picked Adriatic figs. Following the popularity of the original fig spread, a version with oranges and figs is now imported as well. Both are available at fine food stores nationwide, or online at iGourmet.com.
In addition to this Brie torte, you can use fig spread as a condiment with other cheeses and:
- On bread or toast, as you would other jams and preserves
- As a pastry or tart filling
- As a condiment with lamb, pork, poultry and foie gras
- As a topping for ice cream
Discover more about Brie cheese; learn more about cheese in general by skimming through our Cheese Glossary and THE NIBBLE’s Cheese Section.
Fig & Brie Torte Recipe
This recipe uses a baby Brie. You can make this recipe with a larger wheel; just be prepared with more fig spread and walnuts. Serve the dish at room temperature or warmed with a fruity red or white wine. We like it with rosé Champagne.
- 1 eight-ounce wheel of Brie
- Up to one 8-ounce jar fig spread or jam
- Up to 1 cup walnuts, chopped (we like to toast ours)
- 2 walnut halves, shelled, for garnish (candied, if you wish)
- Greens for plating
- Place Brie in refrigerator for about 2 hours to firm up for easier slicing.
- Using a sharp knife or a piece of dental floss, slice Brie in half into two rounds.
- Distribute the fig spread evenly atop the bottom layer of the round, avoiding the 1/4" closest to the edge so that the jam doesn’t spill over when the top layer is sandwiched on.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over the fig spread.
- Add the top layer of the Brie wheel. Use a spatula to fill in jam as needed.
Dalmatia Fig Spread is available at iGourmet.com.
Recipe © copyright Dalmatia Fig Jam. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.