Our Top Pick Of The Week ketchups, Montebello Kitchens and Sir Kensington’s, have a number of things in common:
- They’re made from top-quality ingredients. They’re cooked in small batches, which means more control over the product.
- Both use low-glycemic agave nectar as the sweetener, instead of high-glycemic sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Agave nectar’s glycemic index is more than three times lower than sugar or corn syrup, and it provides a lovely sweetness.
- Both offer spicy varieties.
- Both would make welcome gifts—house gifts or stocking stuffers—for food-savvy friends and colleagues.
And both are very special for traditional uses: baked beans, eggs, French fries, hamburgers, hash brown potatoes, hot dogs, meatloaf and onion rings. They are also a better base for homemade barbecue sauce, cocktail sauce, Russian dressing and Thousand Island dressing. They will add superior flavor and spice to just about anything you decide to use it on.
Montebello Kitchens Ketchup
Montebello Kitchens of Virginia is a venerable producer of regional specialties. We recently chose their tasty peanut soup as a Top Pick Of The Week.
Now it’s time to give their ketchup its due. There are three varieties, all made from tomato paste, cider vinegar and seasonings, and sweetened with organic agave nectar. We loved both spicy varieties: Chipotle Ketchup and Curry Ketchup.
- Tomato Agave Ketchup. The basic: a healthier ketchup.
- Chipotle Ketchup. Spiced with chipotle (smoked jalapeño) and onion powder, this ketchup adds something special. It won a 2010 Scovie Award, given to the best spicy foods.
- Curry Ketchup. One of Montebello’s best-selling products, Curry Ketchup has the perfect amount of curry—elegant, not intrusive. The curry powder includes black pepper, caraway, cayenne, celery seed, cloves, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, paprika and turmeric, plus onion powder.
Photo by Katharine Pollak | THE NIBBLE.
Get yours and get in the gourmet ketchup groove.
*Prices and product availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. Shipping is additional. These items are offered by a third party and THE NIBBLE has no relationship with them.
Continue To Page 3: Sir Kensington’s Regular & Spicy Ketchup
Go To The Article Index Above
|Do you have friends who would enjoy THE NIBBLE?
Click here to send them an invitation to sign up for their own copy
© Copyright 2004-2013 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights
reserved. All information contained herein is subject to change at any time
without notice. All details must be directly confirmed with manufacturers, service
establishments and other third parties. The material in this e-zine may not
be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used, except with
the prior written permission of Lifestyle Direct, Inc.