Laura’s Candy Gourmet S’Mores Kit
We’ve eaten our share of s’mores, and we can tell you, these are great. Why? An outstanding homemade graham cracker, chocolate from the great manufacturer Valrhona and an artisan marshmallow from Laura’s Candy, whose confections have already been Nibbled in our best artisan marshmallows article and our gourmet green marshmallows review.
Laura has created a special Easter S’mores kit, stamping a smiling bunny onto her artisan grahams. We love these graham crackers, and can buy them by the pack year-round without the bunny. Since one of the two best graham crackers in the country, Starr Ridge, ceased manufacturing in 2007, and Tiny Trapeze is no longer available online (just at Whole Foods Markets), America needs more great grahams. Now you know: You can get them online at Laura’s Candy. (Laura also sells the crumbs in packages to make a 9-inch pie crust—“the best graham cracker crust ever!”)
Let us make your mouth water with a brief description of what’s in store for you:
If you’re making s’mores, it doesn’t get any better than Valrhona.
- Magnificent Graham Crackers. These thick, crunchy grahams made of whole wheat flour, butter, honey and molasses bear no resemblance to any graham cracker purchased in a supermarket, but to a graham cracker created by a fine pastry chef. We could eat them daily with tea, coffee, cocoa or milk. Look at the ingredients: no refined sugar or flour! Read the history of the graham cracker—it started out as a health food.
- Artisan Vanilla Marshmallows. If you’ve read our article on artisan marshmallows, you know that these light and airy pillows are only distantly related to the tough and chewy supermarket variety. Laura sells her kits with a variety of flavored marshmallows. As good as the flavored ones are, and as tempting as a butterscotch or whiskey s’more may sound, we say: Stick with the vanilla marshmallow, and buy the flavored varieties separately to enjoy on their own. You can play around with flavored s’mores later, but enjoy the purist version first.
- Valrhona Chocolate. When Dirty Harry said, “Go ahead, make my day,” he wasn’t referring to a Valrhona Le Noir 56% cacao chocolate bar. But the phrase takes on a new meaning after you’ve had a bite of this beautiful semisweet chocolate bar. Laura sells her S’mores kits with a choice of a Valrhona or a Hershey bar. You can save $3.00 with the latter, but unless you’re sending this to a child who won’t eat anything but sweet milk chocolate, don’t even go there!
We roasted our marshmallows over a candle flame with a fondue fork, although the less adventurous can use the oven technique on the box (read our article on making s’mores). As a hidden surprise, the kit comes with foil-wrapped moist towelettes. While Laura thinks of everything, we didn’t need them—we licked our fingers clean!
- S’mores Kit With Valrhona Chocolate
- Individual Marshmallow Packs
Purchase online* at LCandy.com
Telephone 1.507.388.8908 (Minnesota)
*Prices and product availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. Shipping is additional. These items are offered by a third party and THE NIBBLE has no relationship with them. Purchase information is provided as a reader convenience.
Go To The Article Index Above
|Year-sound, you can get the graham crackers without the smiling bunny.
|Do you have friends who would enjoy THE NIBBLE?
Click here to send them an invitation to sign up for their own copy
© Copyright 2004-2015 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights
reserved. All information contained herein is subject to change at any time
without notice. All details must be directly confirmed with manufacturers, service
establishments and other third parties. The material in this e-zine may not
be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used, except with
the prior written permission of Lifestyle Direct, Inc.